Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jan 30 10 4:03 AM

Haha, don't worry Dave, myslf and the LT already outrank him!
And in truth I was thinking about those grips ast night myself...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#47 [url]

Jan 30 10 11:28 AM

Hate to tell you in 64 I bought mine for $65.00 and it came with a holster and box of ctgs (back then a box of 50 was an even $5.00) The heavy barrel model like yours was an extra $10.00 and I didn't have it then Boy those days are gone!
The model 10 M&P was one of the products that was used in calculating cost of living because it had been in continuous production for over 100 years, originaly called the "Hand Ejector model"

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jan 30 10 12:04 PM

Hi Dave,

I did know about the Gas screw on the M14 but i've only known for a few days prior to your post because i read 'Hill 488' about the USMC recon platoon that defended the hill against 450+ NVA regulars. In there it mentioned the fact that one of the marines had his gas screw blow out whilst defending the hill and spent about 6 hours firing his M14 as a bolt action.

I'm looking at both the M14 and a Remington 700 as either is suitable for the role - indeed i believe most soldiers could draw whatever weapons were in the  armoury, which led to one Air cav officer carrying a scoped M1-D for a short while in Vietnam, and of course the odd grunt ending up with a CAR-15 or he XM177 which strictly speaking weren't meant for the average enlisted man (from what i've read) 

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jan 30 10 12:16 PM

Another bit of useless trivia. Although the 1911 was still the primary issue handgun, model 10s were also issued in large numbers, both in standard and heavy barrel models a lot were issued to pilots and flight crews and it was common issue to a lot of security types especialy AP (air force MPs) I'm not sure about Army MPs I think most of them carried 1911s. The Vietnam war caused a shortage of quality handguns on the civilian market throughout the 60's. When I joined the police department in 1971 the department had just upgraded from model 10's to model 19's and still had all of the model 10s in its arsenal including a WWII victory model (same gun with a lanyard ring on the butt and marked "US Property" and one that had been made for issue to the British govt. in .38 S&W calibre) I tried to buy both of these guns as collector items but was not sucessfull they ended up traded to a dealer for other items.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jan 31 10 6:26 AM

Bob,

Thats a nice collection, is your M14 the one with the synthetic wood stock, if it is it looks pretty convincing.

I will soon be taking delivery of my full webbing, including bayonet etc and a two man PUP, so i'm closing in on my kit. Also i'm currently reading "Deaqr Mom" whichis written by Chuck Mawhinney's sniping partner - the man who took over Chucks bolt action when he rotated and it helpfully has a full oad listing for a snipers three day patrol.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Feb 2 10 10:03 PM

You guys who are interested in M14s I finaly found the box where I had some M-14 strpper clips & adapters. If anyone is interested I can send photos showing how the things can be used both for loading the rifle, and for loading the magazine out of the weapon. If not interested or if this is something you already know about I wont mess with taking the photos. By the way I understand that what "we" generaly call "stripper clips" are called "chargers" in the UK

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Feb 4 10 8:31 AM

It certainly is, i've read quite a few Vietnam books and luckily i got 9 new ones for Xmas which i'm digging into.

If you haven't read it yet i'd recommend anybody picks up "Hill 488" - Ray Hildreth & Charles Sasser - Awesome read.

Picked up some good tips already ike the white sock thing as the Army issue encouraged jungle rot!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help