Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 8 10 2:23 PM

Re the APCs obviously I didn't use them in VN (never wanted to either, they looked like too big a target to me - no offense Rolando - I just didnt think I could hide as well in an APC) I was in the Mec Infantry (2nd Infantry Division) in Korea before VN and spent a lot of time in them. Even got to go to a school and got a drivers license for them but that was the only time I got to drive one. At the time my dad was an engineer for general moters and was building the things at the Cleveland Tank plant. The things were made to "swim" (float) and regulations were for all the hatches to be buttoned up when in the water - screw that when we "swam" across a river we all sat on top, ready to bail out! When that beast is "swimming" there is only about 3" of it sticking out of the water, Looks like a near miss from a m-1 carbine might swamp the thing! If the engine and bilge pumps go out it "swims" like a rock. When I was assigned as RTO for the platoon leader, sitting in the APC beat the heck out of laying in a fox hole all night in the dead of winter!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Apr 8 10 2:57 PM

we road in them in korea for warmth! in warm weather we kept the crew hatch open at least one guy would ride on top because he had to dismount and act as ground guide when ever we went through an occupied area along the road dont know about in Viet Nam you'd have to ask Rolando they didnt operate in the mountains where we were patroling

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#24 [url]

Apr 8 10 3:20 PM

No offense taken, Dave. I don't think we ever used them, although we saw them at LZ Betty in Phan Thiet all the time. Most of the area we patrolled in usually was hilly to mountainous and a lot of jungle, not amenable to APCs or tanks. We would also be in flatlands and rice paddies, but I don't remember being out with them, although Gary Jacobson from B-2/7 has some pics on his web site showing tanks on patrols and I am in touch with a guy from A-4/60 who was attached to us with Dusters, so they were probably out there, too.

Before VN when I was stationed at Ft. Hood, I was with a mechanized infantry unit (1/14st Inf., 2nd A.D.) where we did have APCs and trained with 4.2 in. mortars mounted on them.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Apr 8 10 3:46 PM

Excuse us guys, Rolando when were you at Fortress Hood? I was there after VN with 2nd armored div from November 68 through August 69 lived off post in Harker Hts

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#26 [url]

Apr 8 10 6:26 PM

Dave, I was at Ft. Hood from Feb. 1966 to Nov. 1966. I was there for Basic Training and AIT with C-1/41 and then got assigned to HHC-1/41 for the rest of the time I was there. Ft. Hood wasn't normally a training center, but they rushed to set up training there because so many guys were coming into the Army. At the time, Ft. Hood was all 1st Armored Division and 2nd Armored Division. Later, they moved much of 1st AD and 2nd AD to Germany, I think, including 1/41st which is still over there.

When I got back from VN, I was released about 1.5 months early and went straight home from Ft. Lewis.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Apr 9 10 1:21 AM

Not to change the subject guys but this may be of interest to the guys attending the Bovington show there is a book I've read about a guy that did a tour in Vietnam with a mechanized battalion in the 25th Infantry Division they used APC's. It's called On Point by Roger Hayes and it's a really good read!

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Apr 9 10 2:38 AM

Russ your right mate so just think about if you come next year to sit round the table wiv em shooting bull awesome matey so start saving haha

"DONT MEAN NUTHING"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

rolando

In Country

#32 [url]

Apr 9 10 9:55 AM

I know that a lot of you guys go to Jerry Armstrong's C-2/7 reunions in Georgia, but I thought you might like to know about a couple of other reunions/meetings that are being held this year, in case you happen to be in the U.S. about that time. Everyone is welcome at these events.

1st Cavalry Division Assn. has a yearly reunion in June and alternates locations between Ft. Hood, TX and other cities in the U.S. This year it will be in Bloomington, Minnesota near Minneapolis. The huge Great Mall of America is located in Bloomington. Next year the reunion goes back to Ft. Hood and the following year, it will be in Portland, Oregon. The 7th U.S. Cavalry Assn. holds its business meeting during one of the luncheons at this reunion. This year the dates are June 2-6.

The 2/7th Cav has been having meetings in early fall. This year it will be in Franklin, Tennessee, near Nashville. The guy that organizes it is an Ia Drang veteran and usually sets up seminars, has museum displays and local tours to Civil War battle sites. Last time, a number of the Ia Drang survivors from 2/7 had a lively discussion at a workshop about how LZ Albany was approached, what they saw happening there and their comments and stories of their involvement. This year they are having a number of helicopter pilots that supported the battalion with lifts, combat missions, combat support, etc. They want to talk to grunts to find out how we saw the war since it was different from what they experienced as pilots, copilots, crewchiefs, doorgunners, etc. Dates are Sept. 23-26, 2010.

If anyone wants any more information, please contact me. I will let you know of any other 7th Cav meetings or reunions that I hear about.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Apr 9 10 10:31 AM

Rolando many thanks to you for the music -
The "LRRP/Rangers of the 1st Cav in Vietnam" assn holds its annual reunions at the 1st Cav reunion. I made it to the last two in Jacksonville Fla and Ft. Hood but unfortunatly it looks like I'm going to have to miss this one in Bloomington the next one in Tex we must look each other up

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Apr 10 10 9:19 AM

APC's will be static at Bovvy, they drive them out to where you want them and park them up in your area. You then do what you want around them but i don't think Hollywood will be allowed to paint sharks teeth on the front and drive it through any hootches!

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Apr 10 10 1:05 PM

Well, looks like the Camcorder is staying at home

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help