Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 29 10 1:04 PM

Tags : :

Hi guys I thought I would start off this subject to try and find out what people would like to see on the display for next season
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Sep 30 10 10:53 AM

I was thinking of a trial run of a Comms Hooch/MiniBunker at the Bunker bash next year. If it works out alright then I may try doing it again in other shows.
If everyone is cool with that. If not, then Bunny will have his own little 'Hoochers Paradise!'

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 30 10 11:45 AM

I know im new but im a idea machine. I was thinking along the lines of a gook/vietcong village. All wood hut with bamboo sheeting and with hay roof and pots and stuff. Or/and like on full metal jacket when joker meets up with cowboy and do like a walled part or courtyard. Should be able to do it real cheap and affective maybe even do it nearly free cause i can get a loada bits from work.

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#9 [url]

Sep 30 10 12:28 PM

I think your idea is great, James. The attached photo shows a typical Vietnamese hooch we encountered, but it need not be this large. It should be relatively easy to construct with palm fronds and other vegetative materials.

Also, how about an exhibit of punji stakes made from bamboo (without the dung on them!) and other booby traps? Something along these lines or something more elaborate:

Maybe I can provide some other props: topographical maps, Ho Chi Minh sandals, Chu Hoi leaflets, VN currency for an exhibit inside the hooch or elsewhere?

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 30 10 12:40 PM

Funny you should mention that Rolando I sure wish I had kept my ho chi mhins - I've even toyed with the idea of trying to replicate a pair Good old VC jump boots were darn comfortable

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Sep 30 10 12:45 PM

ok guy's not that i am in any way trying to interfere with your idea's as i am with you all the way
but just to remind you all this stuff has to be stored.transportedabout. and most importantly
be erected BEFORE the show start's myself Joe, and Phil dont have the room for no more gear so you guy's will have to do it amongs't yourselve's we already have stuff somwhere to build  a
vietnamese hootch with, talk with SSGT Hall for info carry on guy's

"DONT MEAN NUTHING"

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 30 10 12:46 PM

Totally agree....lets face it..a row of pup tents,couple of bell tent,s and two trenches...is just plain boring...i know the tents r used....the trenches...well..they,re crap..not very imagenative...we need a new direction...i,m all for jame,s idea..hey Rolando how ya doin..as always great photo,s..can you provide us with more please.

Garry Owen
Ross

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 30 10 1:19 PM

Dave wot size are ya i'll keep an eye out for a pair in RVN if i see any i'll pick u up a pair

The UKAirCav motto:- Always making the best of a bad situation since 2004

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 30 10 3:14 PM

On a serious note we could have a small square hole a couple of feet deep stashed in tube ville under a rice mat and people take turns at sitting on the edge with just a torch and a. 45 so it looks like a tunnel entrance

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#16 [url]

Sep 30 10 4:00 PM

That might work, Glen.  Here is a picture of a tunnel entrance we found and what I think you mean:

It doesn't have to be too fancy or elaborate and you can tear down after the show.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 30 10 10:00 PM

Well i don't think the trenches were crap, unimaginative or boring. It cost a pittence to get the sandbags sod all space to store & could be put up & knocked down in a day. I found them great for the public on quite a few levels in that rather than just a static display the public could jump in there with the 'grunts'. This made them interactive & interesting as they could talk to a re-enactor & ask questions & because we added the fun element of the public being able to handle the 'weapons' & get their photo's done summink i hasten to add no other group was doing at the time so that could be considered very imaginative. Also another great thing about allowing the public get their pictures done in them was we could then ask them to donate to whichever charity we was collecting for at the time. Again something other groups weren't doing at the time & again hardly unimaginative i would say more forward thinking as other groups have followed. The only way i can see that it would be boring would be for the guys that did the work as yes it prob did get boring doing it show after show. But i did like the firebase/basecamp feel it had as we could have the girls & kuds dressed up as hootch maids, nurses, v.c etc.., allowing for a more diverse display allowing a lityle but of everything in there. Plus i also liked being able to name each display after a vet that had passed away. So don't be so quick to knock summink that helped built this group up yes to us/we/you it may have been boring but to the public & even Rolando it was a hit. Also remember wot Bob said whatever you decided to do it has to be easily assembled/disassembled, cheap & easy to store or at least have somewhere to store it & importantly room on the display to actually put it ( thinking w&p here). You've also got to have the man power on hand to put it up & take it down something which is always a bone of contention jus ask Bob & Dan.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Sep 30 10 10:08 PM

Saying that steve's OP idea & also Rolando's booby trap idea are great easy to do & easy to put up & take down. We've done the OP one before & Andy was looking to get the booby trap display idea off the ground for the first show of this year ( bunker bash) but never came to fruition unfortunately. I do like tunnel idea aswell but ya might be better off with a manaquin its hard enough getting the guys to stay on the display for longer than half an hr

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#19 [url]

Sep 30 10 10:42 PM

Joe,
I agree with you. The bunker and trench are good ideas. Don't get rid of them. All the things you state in their support are correct. It allows the public to interact as well as learn about being in a place like Vietnam. I definitely liked them and they helped make your whole camp realistic for me. 

The bunker is something that definitely shows how we lived. When the 101st Airborne took over at our old camp, they immediately set up tents and wooden barracks and tore down everything we had left. On one of their web sites, they criticized the previous occupants (us) for living like "rats" in the bunkers. But in reality our bunkers were safer than any canvas or wooden structure they slept in, even if sandbags were piled up around them. Also, the sandbag bunkers were cool and comfortable, except for the occasional snake, lizard or other critter that might sneak in. Trenches have been around for a long time and they have their obvious important function as well--something that is known by all who served in or know about the military. Both are easy to construct and maintain and I think your reproductions were well done and appropriate.

The other suggestions we've been kicking around will provide you with ideas to make your exhibits more interesting and varied. I think you are all on the right track and will come up with a great set up for next season.

Now how about a latrine where you can burn the s--t in the 1/2 55 gallon barrels with diesel fuel? (just kidding)

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 30 10 10:52 PM

Cheers Rolando I did manage to get sum thick cardboard tubes for 'piss tubes' & actually took them to a show but thought against it at the last min.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help