Remove this ad

rolando

In Country

#21 [url]

Sep 30 10 11:20 PM

Yeah, better let them use the porta-potties instead!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Oct 1 10 12:45 AM

Im sure all the things are do able. The village will cost jack really. G mentioned maybe access to a van. I can get the 7.5ton from work to deliver bits. The village idea will be disposable (maybe keep the main posts) but hay from near by farmers and bamboo rolls you can get in pound shop and garden place real cheap. I like the tunnel and that should be easy to construct. I would quite happily volunteer to dig it. Im sure with these ideas everyone will chip in. Not necessarily money but time and effort. A latreen might be cool. Be like jar head and with the s**t pots. Rolando can do the burning for bringing it up lol (im only joshing)

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Oct 1 10 1:02 AM

I'll play devils advocate here. I don't think the trenches are necessarily boring, however as a group the display needs to be open to variation to keep the public interested, there is no reason why a ville can't be interactive, is there? Something I learnt from years of work with the public is they will get bored with seeing the same thing at a show, just think how we've all taken the piss cos RT do the same arena display every year at WP? We could do different displays for different shows surely that would allow for variation and accommodate different shows constraints on space, digging in etc. The diversity won't be affected because the women and kids can dress as villagers which would be more in keeping anyway surely? Anyway I have no strong feeling either way I just thought I'd play devils advocate as this looked like it was in danger of becoming another cause of friction with people only looking at their personal preferences. Be happy we've got ages yet, someone might inherit a Huey before next season!

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Oct 1 10 2:14 AM

good call! mix and match according to the show. trenches and dug in for bunker bash and a village for W&P with a mg nest and whichever else. Its not really playing devils advocate is it, its talking about compromise and suggestions.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Oct 1 10 3:57 AM

ok,
the traps idea sounds like a static display similar to having kit laid out on goundsheets which when i did this at detling with my chopper kit laid out was told it was not suitable as A: aircrew were never camped with the grunts so the kit would not have been there and B: air cav is a living history group that wears the kit and lives life not a musium type static display.
now heres a few ideas:

1: set up the camp as a mp/stockade type outpost?
2: us medical outpost? {see No 8}
3: infantry training facility?
4: field kitchen?
5: R&R facilty if they existed?
6: weapons range/repair armoury?
7: us fuel and supply dump or captured nva dump {needs fake stacks of crates under tarps etc and 50 gal drums etc though for this one}
8: captured nva com bunker/field hospital {i have loads of vintage medical kit from both wars in fact i have a tented field hospital! {white canvas tentage though so acres of scrim required.}
9: a mortor firebase {rolando is the expert on this now i know someone who builds superb wooden mortors but again it costs money get them made} or a field gun base {both would require use of outside hardware with the added expense that involves}

now all of the above could work but i as i understand  the ukaircav is purely 7th cav grunts and portray nothing else then this would cause an issue when it comes to diversification but the doctrin of the group is upto the powers that be and if they don't feel they can move away to portraying other types of army trades then so be it at the end of the day they are in charge. 
we also have to consider whether the group can afford to do alot of this afterall no moola equals no unuseral displays
i can offer storage and a large trailor but you need to be able to tow it something i can no longer do. plus i can't attend every event like the die hards of the cav {family must be considered.} so do we rethink the number of events and wether we can sacrifice a smaller event of two to prepare display items like your vill hooch etc?? i don't know how RT manage it but they are alot bigger i suppose.
i for one would hope to evenyually buy a large green army marquee type tent but as stated display space would be an issue maybe we could all  try to buy 1 thing largish for use by the cav {like large scrim nets/canvas sheets or similar to build large shelters for kitchens/hospitals, or 1-2 oil drums etc so the group can build up a qm store of items that can be mix and matched to create different layouts. { but again trailors and tow bars are then required which is added expense to each member}

just my thoughts guys

ducks down wearing his tin pot awaiting incoming!

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Oct 1 10 4:14 AM

Hey guys

All excellent ideas but take note of what was said by Bob, Joe & the guys who have been here a long time. All of these ideas have been discussed before but there is always the problem of money and hands/time to erect it all. There arn't many guys who can turn up early to the shows in order to get it all sorted & set up so be sure if your gonna put your money in to it you can get it all done & you have people committed to doing it. You also need to make sure your there to take it down aswell.

From past experience we usually have 5-6 guys there on the friday before a weekend show & a similar amount before w&p starts. Hopefully with the group growing as it is we wont come up against the same issues. The top brass are and always have been happy for people to do any of the ideas discussed but have to be happy that they will be done properly and will look as they should.

I am in the process of sorting out a mortar for us, not a wooden one but a real steel 81mm, I will be buying this myself so no one needs to worry about being asked for money & it solves the problem of who looks after it, etc.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Oct 1 10 4:38 AM

Good reply Dog we can only do what we can with what we have and what bod's
are willing to take time off for big show's to be able to prepare in time, also where will all these
display's go we hardly have enough room as it is now, i am not being defeatist but i have heard it all before and nothing happen's Nick you have already stated that you can supply a trailor and
storage that's fine but if you cant tow who is gonna run the stuff to your place on a sunday night
i would imagine no body so that sort of scupper's that. as for the content of display's i have said before we are a line unit that for most of there time in vietnam only owned what they could carry
which was not much, we have the comfort of tent's and such most of the vet's i know slept
in what they could make where ever they were as for display equipment if it's relevant with a line unit display it but i am fed up with telling certain member's about gear i am not happy with on site,
especially stuff that aint right, any how keep the idea's coming we have plenty of time to discuss
all these idea's and hopefully put some to use.

"DONT MEAN NUTHING"

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Oct 1 10 5:01 AM

I'll play devils advocate here. I don't think the trenches are necessarily boring, however as a group the display needs to be open to variation to keep the public interested, there is no reason why a ville can't be interactive, is there? Something I learnt from years of work with the public is they will get bored with seeing the same thing at a show, just think how we've all taken the piss cos RT do the same arena display every year at WP? We could do different displays for different shows surely that would allow for variation and accommodate different shows constraints on space, digging in etc. The diversity won't be affected because the women and kids can dress as villagers which would be more in keeping anyway surely? Anyway I have no strong feeling either way I just thought I'd play devils advocate as this looked like it was in danger of becoming another cause of friction with people only looking at their personal preferences. Be happy we've got ages yet, someone might inherit a Huey before next season!

-guns-a-go-go

Glen i agree with you that trench at W/P this year was awesome but i have a idea for next year
to take two guy's one from each squad and get them to dig a foxhole for two men we could have about six of these with danny's bunker that might look better just a idea.

"DONT MEAN NUTHING"

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Oct 1 10 5:51 AM

For what it's worth the photo's and video's of your displays have been very accurate to me-accurate enough to stir a lot of memories good and bad

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Oct 1 10 6:24 AM

Lt. Joe I'm a size 10-11 but don't go out of your way I doubt the sandals are as prevelent in modern day VN as they were during the war. I sure do appreciate the thought tho. In a way those sandals are a symbol of just how ingenious the Vietnamese people are / were with very little in resources compared to the US military they found ways to use anything at all to improve their condition, or to fight the war. Their booby traps were certainly low tech in this era of terrorism, but they were incredibly effective/deadly. You couldnt strees enough to GI's who are notorious for waste that almost anything you discarded or left behind, the VC could and would use and possibly use to kill you. So I suppose my fixating on the sandals is partly a desire to return to my "childhood" a natural consequence of getting old, and partly just me wondering if given a pocket knife and a discarded truck tire would I be as capable as they were of turning out a servicable and durable shoe?

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Oct 1 10 6:48 AM

We're not arguing hadeel those that kno are jus stating fact. I'm not vetoing the idea's i'm jus saying don't knock what to date has been successfull. But saying that like someone said earlier a cpl of shows we're not allowed to dig in so an alternative display would be handy. Again people are not arguing its jus those that know are saying jus be practical/realistic Also Nick Rolling Thunder although not necessarily bigger do have the advantage of the big trucks for transporting & also at war & peace they have their own onsite lock up for storage as well another lock up somewhere where the bulk of the vehicles are stored/repaired in the off season. So again those that know aren't poo pooing idea's its jus we have past experience to go by if thats changed now then great build, buy whatever you want.

The UKAirCav motto:- Always making the best of a bad situation since 2004

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Oct 1 10 7:10 AM

well the village idea is disposable after the show and made of sticks and other natural things from the enviroment. (like rolando mentioned that all it was anyhow) Just the odd supports and bamboo to buy. Gotta dig a rabbit hole for the tunnel and job done. Can/will do fox holes and trenches like they woulda done for support and defence. Transporting isnt a problem i dont think, as ross and g have mentioned use of a van and i mentioned about a big 7.5ton lorry to get stuff there. maybe first show (bunker bash) do what you know but a bit more experimental/other trench ideas then if all goes well go try something a bit more adventurous. i for one will be there early at shows to pitch in.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Oct 1 10 8:59 AM

Along with my hooch idea, I'm tempted to also make (if there is enough room) a small one-man sleeping hole.
I.E. a slightly larger than usual fox hole with a slanted Poncho covering the back, maybe a couple of sandbags up from too, aptly named, 'The Rabbit Hole'.

Dave & Rolando, was this sort of thing common to see in VN?

Also, has anyone got a poncho thye don't want? I'd like to increase my stock.

Bunny

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Oct 1 10 9:14 AM

sorry Steve I don't have much experience in that area lrrps didnt "dig in" or fortify our positions in combat we concentrated more on not leaving any trace or trail
On most bases we slept in large tents with sandbag walls around them. At quang tri we werre quartered in an old bombed out shell of a building, which we divided into "apartments" useing ammo crates filed with sand 
At Khe Shan sleeping trenches were dug and then covered with metal runway material, then tents were erected over the trenches
At Camp evans we were in tents then the engineers made us nifty open air plywood hootches that even had screens windows and doors, and a wood floor! these were ringed with sandbags about shoulder high.
I spent a couple of days as a radio relay on a small firebase, and while there another guy and I shared just a standard pup tent (one guy in it sleeping, the other outside on the radio 24-7.

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#38 [url]

Oct 1 10 10:37 AM

a few ideas:
1: set up the camp as a mp/stockade type outpost?
2: us medical outpost? {see No 8}
3: infantry training facility?
4: field kitchen?
5: R&R facilty if they existed?
6: weapons range/repair armoury?
7: us fuel and supply dump or captured nva dump {needs fake stacks of crates under tarps etc and 50 gal drums etc though for this one}
8: captured nva com bunker/field hospital {i have loads of vintage medical kit from both wars in fact i have a tented field hospital! {white canvas tentage though so acres of scrim required.}
9: a mortor firebase {rolando is the expert on this now i know someone who builds superb wooden mortors but again it costs money get them made} or a field gun base {both would require use of outside hardware with the added expense that involves}
now all of the above could work but i as i understand  the ukaircav is purely 7th cav grunts and portray nothing else then this would cause an issue when it comes to diversification but the doctrin of the group is upto the powers that be and if they don't feel they can move away to portraying other types of army trades then so be it at the end of the day they are in charge. 

-chopperjockey

These are all good ideas, Nick. Actually, I believe the 2/7th had everything you list, except an Infantry training facility and R&R facility. Those were handled at the 1st Cav base camp at An Khe and the R&R facilities such as Vung Tau were administered by MACV. Everything else could be found at the 2/7th base camp where support units were stationed for us. I don't think some of these would work for your group, though. It would be a big job to set up an aid station, mess hall or fuel suppy/depot and it would take up a lot of space. A small stockade with tent, barbed wire and Graham, as MP guarding a squatting VC, Hadeel in uniform might be a good display. An armory would have been a tent with the armourer working on weapons (one of our guys from the mortar platoon was transfered to an armourer position when we were there).

It's great that you are all thinking and fantasizing about what you could do. Realistically, I am sure you will come up with new exhibits, although I would think they will be in a smaller scale than we are kicking around. I think it's good to toss out all these ideas, though.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Oct 1 10 11:26 AM

Well i'd like to build a full size aircraft carrier like the Intrepid, maybe we could all be Navy for a day! At least you'd be in keeping Nick, sat on the deck sipping mai tais! - Only kidding i like the fact that this has got people thinking - Like Bob says though the ideas will need work to becme a reality but i'm sure the odd thing or two might be introduced 

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 1 10 11:33 AM

Well with so many great ideas, if we can even get 1 or 2 done then it willbe an achievement.

Keep it up

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help