Remove this ad
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Apr 29 11 9:58 AM

impressive! what is the biggest huey kit you can get? just out of interest
 i got a 1:2 scale 61mm morter kit! but would love a massive huey maybe like a 1/6  like the collectable figures to hang up in my office with my guns!grin

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Apr 29 11 11:49 AM

Phil great  pics! The images of the crashed huey brings to mind the Huey with Sgt Bill Hand's team shot down over Signal hill (a shau) in April of 68. The team was thrown clear except for Sgt Larry Curtis who was pinned under the wrecked chopper for a couple of hours while the teams fought to secure the hill.
Both Bill and Larry are doing well and are frequent attendees at our reunions. Bill and I have a special bottle of Gentleman Jack from which we share an anual drink.

The medivac scene brings to mind the team loading me up when I was shot April 11 of 68

I always wanted to do a diorama of a lrrp team insertion but never got it done well done I'm going to copy and save your photo's

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

May 2 11 8:58 AM

I love the Loach/LRRP search and rescue one, absolutely ace.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

thesarge

In Country

#29 [url]

May 2 11 1:35 PM

nick ,, think of it as Big Boys toys ,, pm me and i sell them to you , lol

ok guys as you seen the kits there all 135, scale ,the 4 chopper's i made the pink team  ,  Medvac and a  Gunship , A book is all you need , when making its good to have a book [tanks,planes boats?] for the ref,. the Huey in the rice paddey was the 1st one i made its around 13 years old and still looking good the m113's n the M60 tank was finished just not based,, [for sale] the 105 tank which has slid into a river was never finshed [ for sale to finish]

Medvac , just needs the base
Down gunship , lrrp team at the crash , [pink team ]
All the box,es are full and unmade [think i got too many lol]
Black hawk down , to be finished
Tunnel system base ,just lrrp team needs painting .

Quote    Reply   

thesarge

In Country

#31 [url]

May 3 11 11:54 AM

thats right mate when you do a diorama have a reference to follow,   i see if i can find that photo i worked off , with the loach photo the downed huey was in a rice paddy i change it to a treeline  and added the lrrp team , SWEEET Baby,,,..

Quote    Reply   

thesarge

In Country

#33 [url]

May 3 11 2:16 PM

hi dave thanks for you comments , i love to help you with your plans of doing such a model ,, in anyway i can . Would you have any such photo's of down huey's as a photo tells so much info when trying to make a diorama , i have sold some diorama's on ebay in the past the furthest went to spain ,, that was a huey hog being reloaded by a USMC mule ,,

the medevac just needs to be on a base .      its hard as i like to have hoovering above a small crest , if you can see the wounded lrrp being dragged by other lrrp wearing the flight helmet  , [belly man] i model that from GHOST of the HIGHLANDS ,,
phil

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

May 3 11 4:58 PM

Phil this is the shot down chopper that pinned Sgt Larry Curtis on Signal Hill in April of 68 (photo from the LRRP/Ranger web site taken by Sgt Doug Parkinson - I was not there having been medivaced 11 April before it happened, I did not return to LRRPs until June of 68)

This was 20 April 68 - all of the LRPS and crew survived the crash but three LRRPs and several other troops were killed in the ensuing battle to secure the hill as well as a number wounded. As far as I can recall this action on signal hill in the A Shau valley was the only time the LRRP detatchment (then known as Co E 52nd INF LRP) fought as a company instead of as individual teams.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

May 3 11 5:28 PM

the image of the ship in the rice paddy looks realistic to me - but our teams while I was there operated in the highlands and mountains so I didnt get into the paddies. I know that lrrp units from other divisions did, and latter in the war after my time Cav LRRP/Rangers did too

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help