Remove this ad

#86 [url]

Feb 23 12 8:39 AM

The cover doesn't look to be from 1967 it looks like the later "square type" starting from about 1970 (but not getting to nam till a little later) so tecnically isn't right for our 68/69 display.
See the two types shown, the square cover becomes more obvious when there together....
I've got one, dated 1972 and that was $14 plus p&p from the states inc a '69 bladder.
Still a good price though, even at £22.smile

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Feb 23 12 4:53 PM

Yeah pauls right about the cover guys the bladder is probably dated 67/68 u'll find but the cover is defo wrong

The UKAirCav motto:- Always making the best of a bad situation since 2004

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#88 [url]

Feb 23 12 10:43 PM

We had those bladders in late 1967, but even the one on e-Bay didn't look like the ones I remember. As I recall, they were a clear plastic.  I don't really remember what the cover looked like.  I prefered the plastic or metal canteens.  It's been 45 years though so I can't be sure.  It looks like it was sold anyway.

Quote    Reply   

#89 [url]

Feb 24 12 3:54 AM

We had those bladders in late 1967, but even the one on e-Bay didn't look like the ones I remember. As I recall, they were a clear plastic.  I don't really remember what the cover looked like.  I prefered the plastic or metal canteens.  It's been 45 years though so I can't be sure.  It looks like it was sold anyway.

-rolando

You're right Rolando they were clear and square prior to this type coming in. The new ones as above were tested in late 66 but the clear ones were still in use in 67/68 but they were replaced as they were found to be too noisy and they split too easy also the clear ones had no pile insulation on the cover.

Cheers
Sunshine

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Feb 24 12 5:00 AM

Paul we've found your niche knowledge it seems, where I am Patchorak you are now Bladderak!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#95 [url]

Feb 24 12 9:50 PM

Once again you guys have proven to me that you know a good deal more about the period than I ever did or can still remember!
As I recall we refered to the canteens shown as "2 quarts" and the standard either metel or plastic as 1 quarts. We had the two quart ones in 67 but they were very prone to punctures and leaking at the seams. Not doubtng Rolndo in the least but I dont remember ever seeing a clear plastic 2 quart - the ones I remember were all green plastic The cover in the top photo looks very similar to the ones I remember. I'm not sure about the closing buckle devise though I thought they were closed with with a velcro tab  
The one quart metal canteens we replaced with plastic as soon as we could because of noise and denting, both types were being issued.
We all carried one canteen cup in one of our one quart canteen pouches. we broke the handles off to cut out the noise they made. With the handles broken off you had to be carefull handelling when boiling water in them
we also had 5 quart bladders with no covers which we sometimes carried in our packs (rucks) they too had an anoying tendency to leak -they were clear plastic and could double as a pillow

Quote    Reply   

#96 [url]

Feb 25 12 4:41 AM

Thanks for the input Dave! 
I'm always on the lookout for a 5 quart that doesn't leak. I thought I found one a while back but it turns out I was wrong, even though there are no holes; the seams just let water pour out. I have one of the 2 quarts upstairs, 68 dated, but if you believe that the cover is wrong I'll dump the cover and keep the canteen.
Try to get the impression right!

Quote    Reply   

#98 [url]

Feb 25 12 8:26 AM

Yeah steve in pauls post the top cover is wrong i usually find their 72 dated. The correct 1 is the bottom 1 that angles sharply up after the snap closer. Rolando is probably refering to the early 2qrt canteen which was clear plastic & also a square shape with the lid at the top.

The UKAirCav motto:- Always making the best of a bad situation since 2004

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#100 [url]

Feb 25 12 10:57 AM

I agree, Dave.  The guys know more about the period than we ever did.  Who would have imagined that we would be discussing plastic bladders and canteens on this forum after so many years!  All we ever did was fill them with water and take them with us without regard to what they looked like or what their capabilities were.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help