Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 7 11 9:26 AM

Tags : :

ok guys put ur money where ur mouth is..

for next season i am open to ppls ideas for belters and deatling on how the base should look
please rember if u wanna do something the thing is transportation of big items
if u can build it and transport it then fine.

take nick for expamle makeing the mortar tubes and the spare mags and such
or glen with the ammo boxes.

so u have from now till the first build weekend to come up with things, have fun and many headaches

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 7 11 9:49 AM

Here's a thought for Beltring = What if we had the main part of the display as a combination of bashers and foxholes? Sort of field Defence Position. Let the public in to wander around, have some things set out under shelters and each man/pair has their own little foxhole to personalise. Could even have 1member from each squad in each hole!

Just a thought.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 7 11 11:39 AM

seems good steve but who will dig em? we allways have this prob and its allways the same old ppl who dig the holes and fill the sandbags lol

tom we do that every year hehe prob we have at the mo is we are starting to run outa sandbags lol

basicly we are gonna be expanding on what we have done in the past ie- the trench's, mp tent, lrrp display, the set up at detling was good alltho we have to have ppl there all the time, maybe u guys could sort out something like tour guides to show the public around, think of tayler in platoon where he got told how things go and where things was.....

heres some of the stuff me and big g was thinking of... a mess area thats set up with a table and a small kitchen aera so u guys when on off duty have a place to chow down instead of being at ur tent all the time

hehe thats all i am going to give away for now

but have a think guys dont matter if its small or not one thing to remember is once the show is over its got to be stored somewhere and brought to the shows to

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#7 [url]

Oct 7 11 1:28 PM

The chow area idea is an excellent one.  We sometimes had one.  I'm sure you all know that when we were in camp where there was no mess hall (and sometimes, in the field on patrol), helicopters would bring us hot food in insulated containers called mermite cans, usually for one of our meals so that we would get at least one hot one.  If we were at a camp that did not have a mess hall, the other meals were usually C-rations.  I found a web page with pictures of the mermite cans:  http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4970575-fs-vietnam-era-military-mermite-can 

I don't know if any of your associates from the other re-enactment groups have any of these or whether it would be worthwhile to acquire any, but it could add another dimension to your displays.  If you could get them, you could fill them with simple and cheap hot foods such as hot dogs, spaghetti, mashed potatoes, salad, vegetables, etc. which you could dole out to the troopers for one of the meals.  You might even want to invite the public to eat anything left over.  We ate this hot food from our mess kits or we were given plain, old paper plates, plastic cups and plastic forks and knives.

If you can't get the merlite cans, maybe you could replicate them using present day plastic coolers made to look like merlite cans.

Just a thought.

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#8 [url]

Oct 7 11 1:33 PM

Another thought:

When you set up the mortar pit or even foxholes or bunkers, have you thought about filling sandbags with light materials that you don't have to dig each time, viz., straw, dried compost, sawdust, plastic shipping popcorn, etc.?  You could use these for the lower sandbags and just fill a row or two with real dirt or sand.  I think it would save you a lot of work and could still give you the same look.  It might take more storage and transporting space, but it might be worthwhile.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 7 11 2:56 PM

Oh Rolando, how I hope the bosses agree to your idea!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#15 [url]

Oct 9 11 3:53 PM

Well les is former reme & has done a cpl of booby trap display's/demo's mainly with our guys i'd like him to expand on that. Also fng richard heyman being a builder wants to work with les on the engineer's side of things & has mentioned knocking up a diarama of a firebase & also get some info on how one was built aswell as engineers in general & their role within the division.

The UKAirCav motto:- Always making the best of a bad situation since 2004

Quote    Reply   

bigpete

In Country

#17 [url]

Oct 11 11 6:17 AM

What LT was saying is Les was in the SAPPERS / R.E.M.E so he is doing more of  that side of things. Nothing to do with signals.

s/sgt 1st Squad I LOVE BEER, CIGARETTES AND WAR FILMS!

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Oct 11 11 6:58 AM

I am aware of Les's REME military experience and was not making reference directly to participating in that sappers role,but contemplating a potential signals roll,as we share "the same trade in everyday life" a possibility for expanding on the engineers role.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 11 11 10:16 AM

Oi Les will tell you REME's aren't Sappers, however Les was both Royal Engineers Made Easy and Real (sorry Royal) Engineers.

Signals isn't an expansion of Engineers its a whole nother branch boys and girls and theres patches for all of them :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help