Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 11 11 9:15 AM

Tags : :

Just a little tip for you new guys thinking of buying gear from The States either off ebay or private. The shipping is at the highest it has ever been to this country and also the pound is very weak at the moment so you won't get much for your buck! To add to all of this you have the little addition of getting copped by HM Customs for anything with a total value over £40! The total is the cost of your item/s plus shpping so in most cases the value will be very close to the £40 mark....The excise duty will be charged on the total value and kindly paid for you by Royal Mail who charge you £8 for the pleasure! So you can see that this is something that Royal Mail enjoy doing as they don't get paid to deliver this parcel for you so make up the costs by diddling you this £8!  Im only saying this as Ive been buying from The States for years now and my name is shall I say 'marked' by Royal Mail so I get shafted quite a bit like my recent purchase of Flak Jacket that has been stuck in customs for 2 weeks while they decide firstly what it is and then secondly how much to do me up the ass for! So take heed guys all these extra costs will push up the cost of your gear and if you ever want to sell it on in the future you will struggle to get your money back unless its something uba rare that is!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Oct 11 11 10:19 AM

Its over £18 matey, or in some cases they apply it to things over $18. Its all about who you know - my recent patch bundle just slipped through labelled as "cloth samples $15" - A lie on all counts!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 11 11 1:16 PM

Well it all depends its officially 18 quid import vat but you have up to 135 quid for customs duty...then you have the gift section which is 40 quid import vat the same customs duty i think its all a lottery when it comes to Royal Mail myself. You can get the seller to mark it as gift but not all will help out and ive tried the old re route and you can still get caught and end up paying usps shipping twice. One thing i have toyed with is getting them to send it to France as the shipping from the US to France is cheaper for some reason and their customs is a little bit more relaxed..but then you need to get it sent from France...

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 11 11 2:23 PM

I hear you guys , i recently got a pair of jungle trousers from the states $29.99 / £19.20
then post of $15.95 / £10.23

Took nearly a month to get here then i RAPED for £11.65
bringing my total too *Drum roll*

£41.08

Then to top it all off they are a little tight for me small / long so ive got to get med / reg

But to be fair i had a good run !

i got the following before getting fisted !

arvn ruck
air mattres
dated canteen
2 jungle jackets

But still to put it all VERY politely OUR CUSTOMS are robbing ass holes !!!!!

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Oct 12 11 1:02 AM

Well it all depends its officially 18 quid import vat but you have up to 135 quid for customs duty...then you have the gift section which is 40 quid import vat the same customs duty i think its all a lottery when it comes to Royal Mail myself. You can get the seller to mark it as gift but not all will help out and ive tried the old re route and you can still get caught and end up paying usps shipping twice. One thing i have toyed with is getting them to send it to France as the shipping from the US to France is cheaper for some reason and their customs is a little bit more relaxed..but then you need to get it sent from France...

-hollywood

Your pretty much bang on there geeze. These are wise words & unfortunatly unless you buy something cheap, like Glens patches, and have them labelled to suit your stuffed. I've bought truck parts from the states and some have come as machine parts which didn't seem to attract any customs attention but when they were merchandise they got picked up. The system seems to have guidelines but there blurry & dependent on the asshole who sorts your parcel. I've had stuff labelled up as $300-$400 on teh shipping labels and not had customs charges but then i've had stuff at $40 and been diddled!!!

What can you do but be aware

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 12 11 3:36 AM

Yeah it really does depend on whos sorting it then as I've had things stopped and given a £40 add on and others just a few quid, but i wasn't talking about just the odd patch - I've got boxes in excess of 1000 patches through before without being hit - I suppose referring to it as a "bundle" makes it sound smaller. I've also had boxes of boots come through without trouble and then the next day had a single pair stopped and slapped for customs But like you say its a lottery. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#14 [url]

Oct 12 11 9:40 AM

if you have any family relations in Canada or the USA,or friends visting the states,try and employ there assistance,if possible,this can save you a few quid for bigger items,I have even had stuff sent to hotels,prior to there arrival,to either bring it back or repost it for me.
fortunatly i get all my stuff shipped to a friend in the US ,who i help out from this end,who both buys for me and who will happly repackage/relabels/revalues (unless it was a mega rare item) all the stuff up for me,and ships them out as "gifts","scienetific material","machine parts","surplus"via US mail rather than UPS/DHL which some US sellers like to use,also you can try and  get items shipped your work address,which i do,(if they don't mind ?) as it seems private address that are the ones that seem to attract attention,this all helps to evade those nasty postal surprises on your doorstep.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Oct 12 11 10:29 AM

Nice tip Dave, i hadn't thought of the work address, like i mentioned before another good one is "samples" as they can't tax a free promotional item, apparently "obsolete" works well before things, thats how Keith got his Starlight scope - it was labelled "Obsolete optics"

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Oct 13 11 12:44 AM

So the moral of the story is ..... there is no moral, you might get done you might not. Don't chance it if your not prepared to pay it lol  Two in the hand is worth one up her bush!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help