Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jan 19 12 1:06 PM

couple more pics of my ruck all i need now is to fill it and hook a couple of canteens to it

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#27 [url]

Jan 20 12 6:28 AM

Wow cant believe I got on here! In LRRPs while I was there we carried only a short (5 or 6ft) sectio of rope along with a d ring (carabiner)  to be used to rig as a hasty harness in case of a mcquire rig extraction. These were also used to rig "swiss seat" harness for rapeling in on rope insertions. The rapeling ropes and mcquire rigs were kept on base and rigged in the choppers before they were sent out we didnt carry them in the field. We didn't do many rope insertions and mcquire rig extractions were a last resort a friendly argument at some of our reunions has been over who had the record for hanging under a chopper the longest I'm pretty sure my buddy Bill Hand has the record he was dangling for over two hours and actualy volunteered for it and loved it - not me I will walk or run a long way to avoid a rope extraction

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Jan 20 12 10:24 AM

did you fix this steve - dont know why but the forum just started working this morning glad to have it back hope it lasts
when I get a little time I'll tell you guys the story the story of Bill's one man lrrp mission on the end of a mcguire rig out of quang tri - would have been between Jan and April of 68 Bill is doing well lives in Georgia and makes most of the reunions

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jan 20 12 5:41 PM

Sgt. Bill Hand’s one man LRRP mission

This occurred in early 1968 after we had been re-designated as Co E 52nd Inf. LRP and had moved our operations from LZ English to Quang Tri.

McGuire rigs were used for emergency extraction of troops from areas where helicopters could not land. It was basically a loop made of a web strap similar to seat belt material, secured to the end of either a 60’ or 100’ rappelling rope. The loop would be dropped to us from the chopper and you would sit in the loop, clipping yourself to it with a gated “D” ring hooked to a length of rope you had hurriedly secured around your chest. The chopper would then lift you up over the trees and take you to safe area where the chopper could set down and allow you to disconnect and get into the ship.

That was the theory anyway, in practice the pilots could not always bring you straight up and you would crash about through the trees on your way up, and then would some times misjudge a bit on approaching the ground and would touch you down while the ship was still moving forward, bouncing and dragging you along the ground. After a couple of accidents like that we all started wearing our survival knives tapped to the suspender straps of our web gear with the idea that if you were being dragged you might be able to cut yourself free of the rig.

One day a helicopter pilot had been flying over triple canopy jungle in the mountains west of the base, when the map he had been using was blown out of the ship. He could see the map caught in the top of a tall tree.

The powers that be were concerned over this since the pilot had reportedly marked and made notes on the map, and it was feared that it might be of use to the enemy. So they approached the LRRPs and requested a volunteer to fly out in a McGuire rig and attempt to retrieve it.

Bill who was already known for loving to ride in McGuire rigs (unlike me who would use the things only as an absolute last resort) volunteered immediately. One of our NCOs I believe SSGT. Tom Campbell rigged the Huey with the rope and then laid down on the floor with his head out of the ship so that he could keep an eye on Bill and direct the pilot on how to move the ship to place him where he needed to be and warn the pilot if Bill was getting in trouble.

The ship took off lifting Bill dangling on the end the rope beneath it, and headed back to the jungle. They tried repeatedly to lower Bill to the map so he could grab it, but each time they did the ship’s prop wash kept blowing the map away and into another tree top.

They kept trying for at least a couple of hours and Bill was becoming quite concerned that either a LRRP on a rope, or a Huey hovering about the area just a 100’ or so above the trees might prove to be too tempting a target for someone.

Gun ships were circling the area to discourage anyone in the area but really if someone had fired from the ground it would have been all but impossible to pin point the shooter’s location

At any rate no one fired and in the end they were never able to get Bill in position to grab the map. Neither Bill nor I could remember what if anything they did to recover or destroy the map, but they flew Bill all the way back to our LZ.
Bill told me later that even as much as he loved riding in the rigs he was getting just a bit ill spinning around on the end of that rope for so long.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jan 22 12 12:17 PM

Well having try'd this on nice and comfy , Then i added my webbing without my butt pack i thought lovely day bobs your uncle gets ruck on and my two 1 quarts on either side are in the way were im rather skinny !!!!!
Ive moved them round as far as they will go so there right next to my ammo pouch's and the ruck still touch's the canteens
My question is will it look stupid if i moved the ammo pouch's right round to the front along with the canteens ????

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#39 [url]

Jan 22 12 12:24 PM

Lee,

Everybody did it differently. It was just whatever was comfortable or practical.  I usually had two ammo pouches, one on the right side and one on the left and next to them I carried two canteens, one on the left and one on the right. I was going to mention that when I saw your pic. A lot of times when we were on patrol, we might not have time to be taking off our gear to get to the canteens.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jan 22 12 12:27 PM

Lee, I used to have my Ammo Pouches on the front of my belt, I've only moved them because I couldn't lay down to shoot with them there.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help