Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 14 12 8:08 AM

Tags : :

Hey guys just thought I'd check in from the Nam, turns out Facebook is blocked over here lol. Jees this place is crazy, nearly been killed by mopeds hundreds of times today, flying to Saigon in the morning, so should be good!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

rolando

In Country

#3 [url]

Mar 14 12 10:46 AM

Mopeds were about all we saw in the Phan Thiet area in my day.  I remember seeing a 1957 Plymouth once; the ones with the big fins; probably owned by a government official.  I'm sure it's different now, but those scooters got the people around.  Hope you are having fun.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 14 12 11:06 AM

Amazing how many scooters are there dude eh? The drivers of them are pretty good tho & we never really had any close shaves whist we was there. The only agro i got was off a rickshaw driver who was touting us for buisness & wouldn't take no for an answer. He came close to a smack in the mouth that evening.

The UKAirCav motto:- Always making the best of a bad situation since 2004

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 15 12 7:26 AM

Have you seen any thing interesting in any of the markets? (apart from fake lighters,and loads of NVA gear LOL),do post some pics of what you see in Saigon ....other than Mopeds of course!, ........ political regimes permitting too !

Quote    Reply   

rolando

In Country

#7 [url]

Mar 15 12 12:19 PM

Hope everything goes well, Rob.  I have been told Phan Thiet now has a population of 4 million.  When I was there in 1967, it was only about 40,000. It was the provincial capital of Binh Thuan and the major center for production of nuoc mam, the traditional Vietnamese fish sauce used on rice.  I was told recently that the government is trying to develop golf tourism there and that several golf courses and luxury hotels have been built, but the tourism hasn't developed as much as expected because you can only get there by land.  They don't have an airport.  We were stationed at the Phan Thiet Airfield which became a Vietnamese military base after we left, but was abandoned in 1985.  The airfield is in disrepair and the property along the beach has been developed with condominiums and apartments. The beaches along the South China Sea are beautiful and I am sure that the area has a lot of potential. 

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the area.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Mar 19 12 4:42 AM

Hey guys I'm at Da Nang airport at the moment heading back to Saigon, unfortunately as we didn't have time to take the train (would have taken days!) we had to fly to Hue and back from here. Doesn't look like we'll have time for Phan Thiet :( it's a shame there's no airport otherwise we could have done it. It's only a 3 dollar train ticket from Saigon but takes 6-7 hours each way, maybe next time eh?

Quote    Reply   

bigpete

In Country

#11 [url]

Mar 19 12 8:03 AM

We should do a group holiday to 'nam!!!!!!! When I was in the AIPS all them years ago. Although I never went, a group of about 5 or 6 would go evey 3 years or so.

s/sgt 1st Squad I LOVE BEER, CIGARETTES AND WAR FILMS!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 21 12 3:02 PM

OK YOU NEW GUY'S YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME LEFT TO PAY YOUR DUE'S I GAVE YOU A EXTRA MONTH DON'T LET ME DOWN THAT INCLUDE'S YOU LIAM I HAVE ALREADY PAID YOUR MONEY DON'T SHIT ON ME.

"DONT MEAN NUTHING"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help